Welcome! It’s great to have you here. Today we are discussing how to write a press release.
10 basic formatting rules
- Date your release
- Press releases can be for immediate release or if they have time sensitive information, carry an embargo. You should always include this information on your release.
- Include your contact information in case the journalist or blogger wants to follow up with questions
- Use single line spacing if sending via email, or double line spacing if sending a printed copy.
- Use 10 or 12 point font, preferably in times roman or courier type fonts.
- Do not split sentences or paragraphs between pages
- Do not hyphenate words between lines
- Number your pages
- Justify your text for printed releases
- Indicate the end of your press release using industry standards, -Ends- or ### in the bottom of the page, centered. And –more- if you have more pages. Here is an example:
In my next post I will talk about the most challenging part of a press release – what to write!